Connect with us

Fresh Twist in Edgar Lungu Death as South African Police Seek DNA Test and Autopsy

African News

Fresh Twist in Edgar Lungu Death as South African Police Seek DNA Test and Autopsy

A new development has intensified the controversy surrounding the death of Edgar Lungu, as South African authorities move to conduct a DNA test and autopsy on his remains following allegations of poisoning.

According to Zambia Monitor, the South African Police Service has obtained a summons from the Randburg Magistrate’s Court directing Two Mountains Funeral Services to release the late president’s body for forensic examination.

Lungu, Zambia’s sixth Republican President, died on June 5, 2025. Several months after his death, he remains unburied amid an ongoing legal dispute between the Zambian government and his family over his final burial arrangements. The latest development was outlined in a letter dated February 11, 2026, written by Mashele Attorneys, legal representatives of members of the Lungu family in relation to the criminal investigation into the alleged poisoning.

In the letter addressed to SAPS Sergeant Nompilo Ngwenya, the lawyers confirmed that the family had complied with five subpoenas issued during the investigation. They said statements requested from family members had been submitted and that the family remained willing to cooperate with authorities within the limits of the law. However, the legal team insisted that the poisoning allegations were unfounded and not supported by credible evidence. They said this position had already been communicated formally to investigators.

The family also raised concerns about a subpoena issued to Mpho Mnisi of Two Mountains Funeral Services, which directed that Lungu’s body be handed over to police custody. According to the lawyers, two existing High Court of South Africa orders clearly state that custody of Lungu’s remains must remain with the funeral home until the conclusion of the legal proceedings. They stressed that these orders are binding and remain in force.

The letter further noted that leave to appeal has been granted by the Supreme Court of Appeal, meaning the appeal process is still ongoing. In the absence of a new court order authorising the removal of the body, the lawyers argued that no individual or institution may lawfully act in a way that contradicts the standing directives. The Lungu family has called for strict compliance with the court orders and warned that any action taken in violation of them would be unlawful and subject to further legal challenge

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in African News

Advertisement

Trending

Advertisement

QUOTES

We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.
― Walter Mosley, Blue Light

QUOTES

Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment." - Mahatma Gandh

To Top