News

Ajaero Calls For Immediate Intervention Following Oyo Schoolchildren’s Abduction

Published on

Following the kidnapping of numerous students and teachers in Oyo State, Joe Ajaero, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, has urged the Federal Government and security services to act swiftly and decisively.

The abduction of 39 students and seven teachers from Community High School and L.A. Basic School in Ahoro Esinele, as well as First Baptist School in Yawota, all within Oriire Local Government Area, infuriated Ajaero in a strongly worded press release on May 20, 2026.

He said that the public’s initial response to the incident was one of resignation, pointing out that a concerning sense of normalization has resulted from the nation’s repeated kidnapping incidents.

“The reaction was not out of callousness,” he said, “but a reflection of the extent of the loss of our humanity, and a reluctant acceptance of our new way of life.”

However, Ajaero pointed out that because of the young age of the victims and reports of one of the teachers being brutally killed while in captivity, the case has continued to raise public concern.

In order to instill fear and coerce authorities into paying ransom, he also denounced the abductors’ tactics, accusing them of torturing victims, including children, and disseminating such acts on social media.

Ajaero acknowledged the quick action of local vigilantes and security forces, but claimed that the attackers’ use of improvised explosives and the abductees’ use as human shields hindered rescue efforts.

He called the situation a “multi-layered tragedy” with far-reaching implications and cautioned that Nigeria might lose its ability to conduct successful rescue operations.

Ajaero also bemoaned the spread of insecurity to previously unaffected rural communities, cautioning that no area of the nation, not even large cities, can now be deemed safe.

He urged authorities to switch from what he called a “war as a business” to a strategy centered on national survival, calling for a fundamental change in the nation’s approach to addressing insecurity.

“Government at all levels must wake up,” he said, urging security agencies to undertake a thorough reassessment of their operations.

The labour leader concluded with a call for urgent action, stressing that Nigerians are weary of repeated assurances and condolence messages.

“We demand action now. We have had enough of sermons,” he said. “For how long should we bleed like this?”

In conclusion, it is imperative that swift and decisive action be taken to ensure the safety and well-being of the abducted children. Their immediate rescue and proper care must be prioritized to bring relief to their families and restore peace of mind within the community. Every necessary step should be taken without delay to ensure that the children are found safe and unharmed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Exit mobile version